Sometimes when a heart is broken it's best to wallow in the sadness with a few sad love quotes, take a day to yourself and then let time help you get over it. If you've been hit hard and your heart is in need of mending, here are 12 sad love quotes to help you with the pity party period of mourning.
1. "Though it's been a while now, I can still feel so much pain. Like the knife that cuts you, the would heals. But the scar -- that scar remains." ~ Bret Michaels
2. "Some of us think holding on makes us strong; but sometimes it is letting go." ~Herman Hesse
3. "There is no such thing as romantic love. Only agape love. If you don't know what it is, don't be surprised. There was only one human, though He was not human, to ever have walked the earth who was capable of it." ~Author Unknown
4. "You probably won't remember me. I'm probably ancient history. I'm one of the chosen few who went ahead and fell for you. I'm out of vogue, I'm out of touch. I fell too fast, I feel too much. I thought that you might have some advice to give on how to be insensitive." ~ Jann Arden
5. "You can't buy love, but you can pay heavily for it." ~Henny Youngman
6. "Usually when people are sad, they don't do anything. They just cry over their condition. But when they get angry, they bring about a change." ~ Malcolm X
7. "We enjoy warmth because we have been cold. We appreciate light because we have been in darkness. By the same token, we can experience joy because we have known sadness." ~ David Weatherford
8. "If you live to be 100, I want to live to be 100 minus one day, so I never have to live without you." ~ Winnie the Pooh
9. "I was never one to patiently pick up broken fragments and glue them together again and tell myself that the mended whole was as good as new. What is broken is broken -- and I'd rather remember it as it was at its best than mend it and see the broken places as long as I lived." ~ Margaret Mitchell
10. "Love can sometimes be magic. But magic can sometimes... just be an illusion." ~ Javan
11. "Take a look at me now, cause there's just an empty space. And you coming back to me is against all odds and that's what I've got to face." ~ Phil Collins
12. "This is a song for the lonely, can you hear me tonight? For the broken hearted, battle scarred -- I'll be by your side. ~ Cher
Okay, I cheated just a little. Some of these are indeed from songs rather than actual words spoken, but they make great sad love quotes just the same. Whether you're mending a broken heart now, have had one in the past or know you can't avoid encountering one in the future, these 12 sad love quotes are just what the doctor ordered.